Meaning: Its source is ric hard, an Ancient Germanic name meaning "Powerful leader."
Origin: "ric hard."
Languages: This boy's name is used in English.
Popularity: The name Ricky ranked 325th in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics and 137th in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.
This name makes a strong showing in state popularity data of the 1960s, but makes few (if any) appearances on lists compiled after that period.
Narrative: Those who believe that your name is your fate should consider the diverse reputations of the three English kings named Richard.
First was Richard Lionheart, the very image of a chivalrous knight -- brave in battle, devout in religion, a light to his people.
Next was the forlorn Richard II. Mainly interested in his circle of friends and the finer things in life, he lost his crown because of his perceived weaknesses.
Finally, deserved or not, Richard III earned a reputation for ruthlessness and cruelty. He stands accused of murdering numerous rivals, including two young princes, until finally stopped at the Battle of Bosworth Field.
And what part of U.S. President Richard Nixon's fate did he owe to his name -- his landslide election, or his resignation?
Arts and Music
- Ricky Ramone
- Real name: Richard Beau (see list of Stage Names of the Ramones)
- Ricky Van Shelton
- Winner of two Country Music Association awards, in 1988 and 1989 (see list of Country Music Association Award Winners)
- Ricky Skaggs (born 1954)
American musician and singer.
- Winner of eight Country Music Association awards, in 1982-85, 1987 and 1991 (see list of Country Music Association Award Winners)
- Ricky Walters
- Slick Rick (see list of Nicknames of Musicians)
- Ricky Bell
American football player.
- 1977 National Football League number-one draft pick (see list of Football #1 Draft Picks)
- Ricky Williams
American football player
- 1998 Heisman Memorial Trophy winner (see list of Heisman Trophy Winners)
Stage and Screen
- Ricky Luna
- 1990s Mouseketeer (see list of 1990s Mickey Mouse Club)
- Ricky Martin (born 1971)
Puerto Rican actor.
- Actor on soap opera ''''General Hospital'''' (see list of Performers on ''General Hospital'')
- ''Little'' Ricky Ricardo
- Portrayed by Richard Keither (see list of Characters on ''I Love Lucy'')
- Ricky Ricardo
- Portrayed by Desi Arnaz (see list of Characters on ''I Love Lucy'')
- Ricky Segall
- Portrayed Rickey Stevens from 1973-74 (see list of Actors on ''The Partridge Family'')
The Literary World
- Ricky Lee
- A bartender in Stephen King''s novel It (see list of Characters in It)
- Icky Ricky smells so Sicky
- Ricky Retardo
- Tricky Ricky
Meaning: Its source is Richard, an English name meaning "Powerful leader."
Narrative: This name also originated as a diminutive of Erica and Fredrica.