Science and Philosophy
People who have made a name for themselves studying the production and distribution of goods.
Adam Smith (born 1723, died 1790)
Scottish economist, author of The Wealth of Nations (1776).
- Prophet of free-market economics
David Ricardo (born 1772, died 1823)
- Founder of the classical school of economics
Frank W. Taussig (born 1859, died 1940)
American economist and educator.
- Wrote Wages and Capital
Friedrich Engels (born 1820, died 1895)
- Co-wrote the Communist Manifesto with Karl Marx
Gunnar Myrdal (born 1898, died 1987)
- Known for his work on the theory of money and studies of economic fluctuations
Henry George (born 1839, died 1897)
- His ''''Our Land and Land Policy'''' declared that land values represent monopoly power
Irving Fisher (born 1867, died 1947)
- Wrote The Purchasing Power of Money
James L. Laughlin (born 1850, died 1933)
American political economist.
- Helped establish the Federal Reserve System
John R. Commons (born 1862, died 1945)
American economist and author.
- Wrote The Distribution of Wealth
John Maynard Keynes (born 1883, died 1946)
English economist; advocate of government intervention in the economy.
- Editor of Economic Journal and author of many books
Joseph Schumpeter (born 1883, died 1950)
- Wrote Business Cycles
Louis Blanc (born 1811, died 1882)
- Considered the founder of state socialism
Milton Friedman (born 1912)
American economist. One of the foremost proponents of laissez-faire economic policy.
- Wrote Capitalism and Freedom
Sidney J. Webb (born 1859, died 1947)
English economist, socialist and statesman. A founder of the Fabian Society.
- Wrote Socialism in England
Vilfredo Pareto (born 1848, died 1923)
Economist and sociologist.
- His theories rejected democracy and heavily influenced Italian Fascism
William Graham Sumner (born 1840, died 1910)
American economist and sociologist.
- Advocate of free trade and big business
Karl Marx (born 1818, died 1883)
German political philosopher; founder of modern socialism.
- Wrote the Communist Manifesto (with Friedrich Engels) and Das Kapital
John Kenneth Galbraith
- Leading liberal economist who was one of John F. Kennedy''s key economic advisers
BabyNamer has been redesigned, rebuilt and rejuvenated. Please .