Meaning: Its source is Shoshana, a Hebrew name meaning "Lily."
Languages: This girl's name is used in Dutch, English and French.
Popularity: The name Suzanne ranked 153rd in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.
This name is highly rated in the 1990 U.S. Census popularity survey of all ages, but after 1960 does not appear in the state data listing the most popular baby names.
Narrative: The first known Shoshana (or Susanna) features in a Hebrew literary piece regarded as an unofficial addition to the Book of Daniel. It is, in fact, an ancient detective story, complete with a dramatic trial scene.
The beautiful Shoshana is accused of adultery by two elders. Despite her protests of innocence, she is about to be condemned to death when the prophet Daniel intervenes. He demands that the elders stand up to separate cross-examination about their accusation.
Outside one another's presence, the two elders give contradictory accounts of the alleged crime. Daniel argues that they intended to deceive the court, and that they, not Shoshana, were the ones with the sinful intentions.
Thanks to Daniel, Shoshana is found innocent, and the elders are condemned.
Arts and Music
- Words and music by Leonard Cohen (see list of Names in Song titles)
- Suzanne Valadon (born 1865, died 1938)
French painter. Original name: Marie-Clémentine Valadon. Mother of painter Maurice Utrillo.
- Painted Adam and Eve (see list of 20th-century Modern Artists)
- Suzanne Vega (born 1959)
American singer and songwriter.
- Suzanne Farrell
- 1965 Mademoiselle Award winner (see list of Mademoiselle Award Winners)
- Suzanne Gillaspie
- 1983 Rose Queen (see list of Tournament of Roses, Rose Bowl Queens)
- Suzanne Lenglen
French tennis player.
Stage and Screen
- Suzanne Crough
- Portrayed Tracy Partridge (see list of Actors on ''The Partridge Family'')
- Suzanne Rogers
- Actress on soap opera ''''Days of Our Lives'''' (see list of Performers on ''Days of Our Lives'')
- Suzanne Steele
- Portrayed by Kerrie Keane (see list of Characters on ''Beverly Hills 90210'')
- Oh Suzannah
- Suzanna Banana
- Suzie Q. Homemaker
Used in reference to a Hostess brand snack item.
- Zannie Banannie
- Talks Too Fast Suzanne