Meaning: Its source is Laurentius, a Latin name meaning "Man from Laurentum."
Popularity: The name Lauren ranked 1202nd in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.
Though this name appears on the 1990 U.S. Census lists, it is used by only a small percentage of the general population.
Narrative: The ancient city of Laurentum was located in present-day Italy. It probably got its name from the laurel bush, an important plant to the people of ancient times, who fashioned triumphant garlands from its branches.
- Lauren Harris (born 1885, died 1970)
Canadian landscape painter.
- Born in Brantford, Ontario (see list of Famous Canadians)
- Lauren ''Laddie'' Gale
American basketball player.
- Inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1976 (see list of Basketball Hall of Fame)
The Literary World
- Lauren D. Lyman
- 1936 Pulitzer Prize winner for Reporting (see list of Winners of the Pulitzer Prize for Reporting)
Meaning: Its source is Laura, an English name meaning "The laurel shrub."
Languages: This girl's name is used in English.
Popularity: The name Lauren ranked 14th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics, 162nd in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census and 15th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1994 US Census.
This name is highly rated both on the 1990 U.S. Census list and in state data recording the most popular baby names.
Narrative: Film director Howard Hawks popularized this form of the name by suggesting it as a stage name for the actress born Betty Jean Perske, thereafter known to the world as Lauren Bacall.
Stage and Screen
- Lauren Bacall (born 1924)
American actress. Original name: Betty Joan Perske.
- Two-time Tony Award winner for Best Actress in a Musical: 1970, for Applause, and 1981, for Woman of the Year (see list of Tony Winners for Best Actress in a Musical)
- Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Picture (see list of Movie Personalities with Stars in the Hollywood Walk of Fame)
- 1997 Kennedy Center Honors recipient (see list of Kennedy Center Honors Recipients)
- Lauren Chapin (born 1945)
- Portrayed Kathy ''''Kitty'''' Anderson (see list of Actors on ''Father Knows Best'')
- Lauren Eskridge
- Portrayed by Kristian Alfonso (see list of Characters on ''Melrose Place'')
- Lauren Fenmore
- Character on the soap opera ''''The Young and the Restless'''' (see list of Characters on ''The Young and the Restless'')
- Lauren Holly (born 1963)
- Portrays Officer Maxine Stewart (see list of Actors on ''Picket Fences'')
- Lauren Roman
- Actress on the soap opera ''''All My Children'''' (see list of Performers on ''All My Children'')
The Literary World
- Lauren K. Soth
- 1956 Pulitzer Prize winner for Editorial Writing (see list of Winners of the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing)
- Laureno Beneno
- Borin' Lauren
- Lu Lu
- Lor Lor
- Laurana Bobbit
- Lo Lo
- Lard Butt