Meaning: Its source is Iacobus, a Latin name meaning "One who grasps by the heel or supplanter."
Languages: This boy's name is used in English.
Nickname For: James
Source Forms: Jacomus
Popularity: The name Jamie ranked 519th in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics and 233rd in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.
This name first made its appearance on state popularity lists before 1993, but is becoming less commonly used. In some cases, it has fallen off the lists altogether.
Narrative: Iacobus is a Latin translation of Yaakov, the Hebrew source of the name Jacob. This explains the terms Jacobean (used to describe the reign of Britain's James I) and Jacobite (a name for supporters of that king's descendants in their attempts to regain the throne lost by James II).
James has been a popular name for many generations. While its association with two of Christ's disciples explains some of its popularity among Christians, the 20th century has celebrated a wealth of stars named James, ranging from James Cagney to James Dean. Ian Fleming's master spy James Bond has also given the name a boost over the last few decades.
- Jamie Anderson
- 1877-79 British Open golf champion (see list of British Open Golf Champions)
Stage and Screen
- Jamie Farr (born 1934)
American actor. Original name: Jameel Joseph Farah.
- Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame for Television (see list of Television Personalities with Stars in the Hollywood Walk of Fame)
- Portrayed Maxwell Q. Klinger (see list of Actors on ''M*A*S*H*'')
- Jamie Hunter
- Portrayed by Mitch Vogel from 1970-73 (see list of Characters on ''Bonanza'')
- Jamie Martin
- Character on the soap opera ''''All My Children'''' (see list of Characters on ''All My Children'')
- Jamie Walters (born 1969)
American singer and actor.
- Portrays Ray Pruit (see list of Actors on ''Beverly Hills 90210'')
- Blue Jay
- Jammy Jamie
- Jamie and the Magic Torch (a popular British children's cartoon from the 80's)
- James Bond
- Jimmy Jam
- Jamie Sommers
- Jay Jay
Meaning: Its source is James, an English name meaning "One who grasps by the heel or supplanter."
Languages: This girl's name is used in English.
Popularity: The name Jamie ranked 166th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics and 146th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.
This name was popular earlier in the 20th century, then fell off in usage, but has begun making a comeback in recent years.
- Jamie Gorelick
- 38th Most Powerful Woman, Vice Chairman, Fannie Mae (see list of 1999 Fortune 50 Most Powerful Women in American Business)
- 46th Most Powerful Woman, Vice Chairman, Fannie Mae (see list of 2000 Fortune 50 Most Powerful Women in American Business)
Stage and Screen
- Jamie Boyle
- From ''''Wait Till Your Father Gets Home'''' (see list of Cartoon characters)